The new RICOH THETA V has been announced! Pre-orders are available now, with the shipping date, according to Amazon, being September 24, 2017.
We’d like to know, as a developer working with the camera’s open API, what upcoming new features are you most anticipating?
If we missed a good feature you’re focused on, please reply to the post and let us know. Also, if you’ve got extra comments, or a specific use case that you’re especially excited about, we’d love to hear details.
Developers! What’s the most useful feature you will use in the new RICOH THETA V? (multiple choice)
- 4K 360 live streaming (120Mbps for 4K and 42Mbps for 1080/30p)
- 4K video at 30 frames per second at a resolution of 3840 x 1920 pixels
- 4K video supports both H.264 file format as well as new H.265 video compression standard
- 802.11ac wifi transfer speed is 2.5x faster than THETA S
- New Bluetooth connectivity can maintain constant connection between smartphone and camera, can wake up THETA even while in sleep mode
- 4-channel microphone supports 360-degree spatial audio, two mics on the side of the camera and two on the top, with ability to record spatial audio based on direction and height, recorded in Linear PCM
- Minimum interval with interval shooting reduced from 8 seconds to 4 seconds, approximately half the time of the THETA S
- Software plug-ins (example: Wireless playback to broadcast content onto TV or other monitors while using THETA as remote control by holding shutter button and moving camera around)
- Ultra-high shutter speed of up to 1/25000 seconds (Up to 1/6400th with THETA S)
- Shooting at ISO 64 to 3200 for photos and 6400 for videos
- “Stitching almost unnoticable”
- 19GB of internal storage (up from 8GB), which can hold around 40 minutes of 4K video or 4800 photos
- Non-removeable lithium ion battery can last up to 65 minutes while recording video
- 3.5mm audio jack jack and Micro USB 2.0 port
- Micro HDMI port removed, instead supports Miracast (open standard that is essentially HDMI over wifi, compatible with Google Chromecast, Amazon FireTV Stick, others)
- Optional accessory underwater cover, depth of 30 meters (98.4 ft), can control camera even with case on
- Optional accessory called the 3D Microphone TA-1 picks up natural sound at both low and high frequency, large 10mm aperture “well suited to shooting musical performances” and wind screen for reducing wind noise