YouTube Spatial Audio Support Now Available

Let’s do a sanity check.

Shoot a short clip with your Theta V.
Connect the camera directly to your desktop computer.
Copy the file over.
Stitch the file if necessary with the Ricoh Theta Desktop app.
Run the Theta Movie Converter.
Look at the properties of the converted clip.
(Make sure you have all the latest desktop apps from Theta: https://theta360.com/en/support/download/ )

@Angelo_Farina and @ZZChu,

Does the new firmware release (1.20.1) adequately address the problem of channel ordering and gains with the 4 channel audio tracks?

I think the updated movie converter works great and is a big time saver. I do wish it could do batch conversion of the clips though. I have to drag each clip one at a time to convert.

1 Like

I tried what you said but

Any Iidas???

Let’s do a sanity check.

Shoot a short clip with your Theta V.
Connect the camera directly to your desktop computer.
Copy the file over.
Stitch the file if necessary with the Ricoh Theta Desktop app.
Run the Theta Movie Converter.
Look at the properties of the converted clip.
(Make sure you have all the latest desktop apps from Theta: https://theta360.com/en/support/download/ )

I looked at some of your stuff on your YouTube channel, and you have the spatial audio working:

I assume that clip above was just stitched and processed so we know the spatial audio is working.

So it appears during the editing workflow, something gets lost.

Does Magix have a support forum? It is just a movie with 4 audio tracks— does Magix support multi channel audio editing? Can Magix import a movie file with 4 audio tracks?

I’m looking at the product page: http://www.magix.com/us/sem/movie-edit-pro/specifications/#c634951

I have no familiarity with this program… but I’m not sure it allows you to work with the 4 audio tracks?

1 Like

Magix does do multi channel as seen in pic below
this is the ORL and the RTMC together but olny 2 Channel its 1 track for 1 or 2 channels.
but its not seeing the other 2 channels.

I have gone to Magix support forum and they unable to help me with this.

1 Like

@ZZChu I didn’t get your reply is everything ok :thinking::worried:

My suggestion is to continue to work with the makers of Magix. Send them a clip that has been converted with the Ricoh Theta Movie Converter and ask for support either directly or via their support forum.
Otherwise, you will have to seek out an editing program that will do what you want.

ok thank for trying
Tim Harding
Mitsuperboy

Yes, the new firmware 1.20.1 and the new Movie Converter app create a .MOV file containing a correct 4-channels spatial audio soundtrack in Ambix format (ACN/SN3D), with correct channel ordering (WYZX) and correct gains.
The video posted in Youtube here above shows that everything is OK, now!
The issue is fixed, albeit the firmware is still saving an MP4 file which does now show explicitly the 4-channels spatial audio, hence the passage through Movie Converter is still required for extracting the hidden 4-channels soundtrack.
One would expect that the file is directly saved with spatial audio soundtrack inside the camera when the user selects the camera-stitching mode.
On the other side, if in-camera-stitching is not used, the spatial audio extraction shopuld occur inside the main Theta S program on the computer, without the need of a secondary action using the Mobie Converter app.
But for now the workflow is operational, albeit still requiring the usage of the Movie Converter program both for in-camera-stitched videos and for unstitched videos (which need to be stitched BEFORE using the Movie Converter app).

2 Likes

@ZZChu

Hi John one last question

I’m witting to Magix tech support and i wondering if you would. know any of the export or playback video and audio codec for YouTube, Facebook, or any other types?

Tim Harding
Mitsuperboy

You Sir, are a genius! :slight_smile: what an honour it would be to be a student of yours.
Before I start diving into the editing I want to be sure the audio is as it’s supposed to be 100%. Can you confirm where things are at this point (seeing this post is from '17.
What is the best way to process the audio into youtube uploads.
Is it safe to assume the audio quality will remain high if user/viewer lowers video quality?

2 Likes

Yes, Ricoh fixed their firmware a few weeks after I did inform them of the bug, and since December 2017 the spatial audio soundtrack is correct for Youtube (Ambix 1st order, 4 channels, ACN/SN3D).
So, after having converted the equirectangular video from MP4 to MOV using the Movie Converter app from Ricoh, the file is ready for Youtube, without any other editing required.
And yes, reducing the video resolution to 1920x960 does not affect the audio quality (but results in a video which is not enjoyable on an HMD VR visor).

3 Likes

This guy is a real hero of the community. Such a great contribution.

thanks.

2 Likes