YouTube Spatial Audio Support Now Available

Thanks for posting, you’re quick!

2 Likes

Thanks to people from the community like you and @Angelo_Farina, we were able to pass some great test information to Ricoh. I’m glad that the Ricoh engineering team were able to work with the community to improve the camera for everyone.

Please let me know how your tests go. :slight_smile:

I have a TA-1 and I’ll test the camera with and without the microphone as well.

1 Like

I did one short clip using the Theta Movie Converter 2.0 and it worked great.
This morning, I tried it on a 5.58 gig file (about 13 minutes long) shot with the latest firmware update and it throws a “unsupported file” message when attempting to convert it.

I guess the size of this clip is causing problems with the Theta Movie Converter. After much frustration, I stitched 2 versions with Theta desktop app, one 4K version and one 1080 version. The 1080 HD version worked with the Theta Movie Converter. I am going to combine the audio from the 1080p version with the 4K video track.

Thanks for this test. I’m going to try and replicate this myself as well as ask a guy I know at Ricoh if he’s heard of this problem before.

Appreciate the help with the testing.

1 Like

I wonder if this has anything do with FAT32 file sizes etc.? (I’m using a Mac running 10.13 High Sierra so it shouldn’t matter?). I just tried it with a clip that was 4gb in size and the Movie Converter 2.0 processed it with no issues.

Since most of my recordings never get beyond much past 4 gigs I have never encountered this issue in the past.

I’'m gong to restitch the problem file with the new Theta Desktop app 3.2.2 and see if it makes any difference. Update: Nope. Anything larger than 4gigs seems to flummox the Movie Converter.

Did you use the Mac File transfer app for files over 4GB?

Yes, I did use that File Transfer app. Weird since I normally copy over directly using the Image Capture app in Mac OS X.

That large file needed to be transferred with that app so the Theta Desktop app will accept it for stitching.

So I have the latest firmware: 1.20.1
Latest Theta Desktop App: 3.2.2
and using the Theta Movie Converter 2.0

I stitched the video clips with the desktop app and then tried to convert with Movie Converter 2.0

Files that are 4 gigs in size convert correctly with no issues.

The files that are 5.6 gigs in size or so will not be accepted in Movie Converter 2.0 (Unsupported File)

If I downscale to video file to 1080, then the Movie Converter will work as the size is much smaller.

I’m running Mac 10.13.3 High Sierra
on Mac Pro 5,1.

John

The firmware update is glorious though. My wife video’d kids school concert and the sound of built in mics is superb. (This is 13 minute file where I had to extract audio from the 1080 version and matched with the original 4K video.)

Hi I’m trying to edit my videos in MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Premium Version number 17.0.2.159 then put the spatial audio back in using RICOH THETA Movie Converter Version number 2.0. I export as a 360 mp4 but in setting it only option is stereo. and then i put it RICOH THETA Movie Converter and then its crashes. i’m on windows 7. can anyone help me with this.

Tim Harding

Hi Tim,

I would first convert the clips in the Ricoh Theta Movie Converter before importing it into your NLE for editing.

John

Hi John
Thank you for your reply. I have tried using the Ricoh software before the Magix software and vice versa. But I either get 360 mp4 video in Stereo Only, or I get a Flat M2T (not 360) video with “surround” sound, which is not Spatial Audio. Please can you tell me what NLE is, and any further information on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks Tim

I use Final Cut Pro X and it will see the 4 channel audio tracks in my project after the converting the clips with the Ricoh Theta Movie Converter.
Final Cut Pro X doesn’t currently export or share a movie file with the spatial audio tracks to YouTube.
I have to manually export the video track, plus each audio channel track.
I then use Audacity to combine the 4 tracks into one multichannel AIFF file.
I then combine the Video Track and the new multichannel AIFF track with FFMPEG.
The combined movie file will now need to have metadata injected using the Google Spatial Media Metadata Injector Tool before uploading to YouTube.
Here is my workflow (more or less)

Hi John
Thank you for the video in your reply. but for some reason Magix still only seeing 2 channel, photos of Magix properties attached I tried contenting Magix about this before and didn’t do anything, is there any other way for the spatial audio to work.

Tim

What is your workflow?

I copy the clips straight off the camera and then stitch the raw clips using the Theta Desktop app. Once that is done, I use the Theta Movie Converter to convert the clips.

If you look at the properties of the converted clip before importing into your editing program what does it say?
The object properties above screenshot you have? Is that Windows? Or is that inside Magix?

Does Magix support multi-channel audio? Does your project properties need to specify that you are working with a multi channel - tracks?

That was on Magix. but here the windows properties.

I look at my properties the spatial audio file from RTMC does not have info but the RTB has???
I tried a 2D video with 5.1 output and that work in multi-channel audio.

Tim

Let’s do a sanity check.

Shoot a short clip with your Theta V.
Connect the camera directly to your desktop computer.
Copy the file over.
Stitch the file if necessary with the Ricoh Theta Desktop app.
Run the Theta Movie Converter.
Look at the properties of the converted clip.
(Make sure you have all the latest desktop apps from Theta: https://theta360.com/en/support/download/ )

@Angelo_Farina and @ZZChu,

Does the new firmware release (1.20.1) adequately address the problem of channel ordering and gains with the 4 channel audio tracks?

I think the updated movie converter works great and is a big time saver. I do wish it could do batch conversion of the clips though. I have to drag each clip one at a time to convert.

1 Like

I tried what you said but

Any Iidas???

Let’s do a sanity check.

Shoot a short clip with your Theta V.
Connect the camera directly to your desktop computer.
Copy the file over.
Stitch the file if necessary with the Ricoh Theta Desktop app.
Run the Theta Movie Converter.
Look at the properties of the converted clip.
(Make sure you have all the latest desktop apps from Theta: https://theta360.com/en/support/download/ )

I looked at some of your stuff on your YouTube channel, and you have the spatial audio working:

I assume that clip above was just stitched and processed so we know the spatial audio is working.

So it appears during the editing workflow, something gets lost.

Does Magix have a support forum? It is just a movie with 4 audio tracks— does Magix support multi channel audio editing? Can Magix import a movie file with 4 audio tracks?

I’m looking at the product page: http://www.magix.com/us/sem/movie-edit-pro/specifications/#c634951

I have no familiarity with this program… but I’m not sure it allows you to work with the 4 audio tracks?

1 Like

Magix does do multi channel as seen in pic below
this is the ORL and the RTMC together but olny 2 Channel its 1 track for 1 or 2 channels.
but its not seeing the other 2 channels.

I have gone to Magix support forum and they unable to help me with this.

1 Like