Virtual Reality and Behavior Change, Stanford Oct 6 - 7

Not planning on attending due to $600 cost of conference, but found it interesting how VR is being used for behavioral health.

https://med.stanford.edu/cme/courses/2017/psychiatry17.html#program

1 Like

This looks really serious and specialized. Very interesting.

TARGET AUDIENCE
This is an international program, designed for physicians, psychologists, nurse practitioners, and clinical social workers practicing in the following specialties:
• Family Practice
• Primary Care
• Neurology
• Psychiatry
• Anesthesiology
• Pediatrics
• Neurosurgery
Also welcomed are people interested in VR/AR from fields like medicine, engineering, computer science, business, education, law, etc.

The call for abstracts is still open… Here’s the event brochure:

Innovations-in-Psychatry-2017-brochure.pdf (1.8 MB)

I imagine that one use is to put people into uncomfortable VR situations and measure their reactions in a controlled environment. It’s more realistic than a picture or a normal movie.

1 Like

Jeremy Balienson is a key figure there.

They’ve been at this for 20 years.

Here’s an informative talk.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that link. I took a look at this VRT demo, which opened my eyes to the possibilities of helping people to experience new things in a safe way, potentially helping their lives by altering their behavior to the world.

Virtual Reality Therapy (VRT) allows the immersion of an individual into an environment that would otherwise be unsafe, unwise, or impractical for treatment of mental health issues. IDEGO’s “Virtual Engagements” combine the building blocks of traditional cognitive therapies with gamification strategies and virtual reality technology to provide unprecedented access to private, self-led, user-focused programs to achieve better mental health.

1 Like

Certainly virtual now (404).

But a potentially valuable area.

I got involved with visual attention research in the 90s, in the context of helping schizophrenic patients control attention - biofeedback style, and do dip into the clinical aspects/potentials for the technologies from time to time.

There are also the now classic applications for pain amanagement and PTSD, I’ve also seen SIMs for addiction trigger management. A freind also tried a dimentia VR SIM, a training aid for end of life care.

Interesting stuff.

And Craig, I am linked to networks with interest in socially beneficial aspects of the tech so can certainly flag stuff up if you are interested.

1 Like

I’m also interested in that kind of info. Please share as you come across interesting information.

The speaker, Jeremy Bailenson wrote this book:

It’s paired with this VR experience:

You can use that link above with the HTC Vive and let us know how it goes.