THETA S not charging

hi i try to charge my theta s but the red lines turns on for a moment and then goes off

Saverio,

How long have you had your THETA? Was it properly charging before? Are you plugging into a wall socket or a computer USB port?

If you do a search for “charging” on this site, you’ll get multiple helpful responses:

http://lists.theta360.guide/search?q=charging

Jesse

HI James,
sure i ve tried all the options of charging (wall, usb) .
It was charging correctly and then one day with out no evident reason it
stoped.
Now wen I plug the usb it gives me a few red light signals and then stops.
I-ve tryied to reset the theta but nothing. The camera is not recognaized
by the computer.
Since the guaranty expired can I just try to change the battery_ of yes
were can i find a new battery_
please consider that i live in milan italy.
thanks
Save

Save,

Just one more idea: Did you try pressing and holding the power button for 8 seconds to reset? And then restarting?

https://theta360.com/en/support/faq/c_01_s/8/

Jesse

Ues i ve done that too

Saverio Schiano

Ok, probably you need to contact RICOH THETA official support: https://theta360.com/en/support/contact/ I have seen people mention that taking it to the distributor you bought it from gets quicker responses, but I don’t know. Good luck!

There is any way to have a contact non us?

Saverio Schiano

I was getting exactly the same symptom - red light coming on, then off, then flashing briefly, then off for good. I tried all the tips I found on this site. None worked until I eventually combined two of them. Success!
Try holding down the power button as if you were doing a reset, then while holding it down, plug in the usb cable, continuing to hold down the power button. (Alternatively, have the cable plugged in, but turned off, while you have the power button depressed, then switch on the usb charger - again whilst depressing the power button.)
When I did this, the red charging light came on, and stayed on. After a few seconds, you can of course release the power button.
Hope it works for you too.

6 Likes

I know this is an old thread yet I found myself quite worried this AM about my Theta S until I found your post.

Thank you from Naples FL

2 Likes

Thank you so much. This actually worked for me. My theta was not charging straight out of the box but this worked.

2 Likes

Great news, glad it helped. Taking any interesting pictures? If you got any good ones, feel free to post them here. :slight_smile:

Thank you
This dual trick of of the long-press power-button reset then applying USB power fixed my problem.

The battery still had a minimal charge but plugging in any USB cord got a single short red blink then nothing.
Due to my rough physical usage (attached to child’s Tonka truck then towed through inaccessible areas and crazier things) there was an obvious concern that I had bad contacts inside.
I shimmed the battery enclosure area and cleaned up but it still refused to charge. Oh, I also verified that the battery still has lots of operational life left. And this is in January 2021.

2 Likes

@Xvdgry57 Hey, excellent! Glad you got it going, and thanks for posting your discovery here. Hopefully it will help others in the community.

1 Like

I had a Theta S that was doing something similar. The red power light would come on momentarily then go out when I would try to charge it. I discovered that the battery contacts inside the camera were not making good contact with the battery. I removed the battery, bent the terminals further to make better contact and reinstalled and that fixed it. Taking apart the Theta S, SC or V is actually incredibly easy.

2 Likes

thanks for the tip about the battery terminals inside the camera. That is a great fix.

1 Like