Shooting Time-Lapse with THETA S

It should be relative easy to lay this setting after the 200 images setting in the next App update
i think very few shoot Time-lapse under two images :smile: and detect the Not Specified setting !

2 Likes

possibly change the English to ā€œunlimitedā€ would make it clearer too.

3 Likes

yes after the 200 setting

1 Like

Agree that both placement and wording should be improved

1 Like

I have just recently gotten into shooting time-lapse with my Theta. I shot some stars from the roof of my house and got lucky when some clouds came out (made for a really dramatic effect). I have an unused light stand from work that works great for getting the Theta up high and hope to try a time-lapse of the upcoming eclipse.

2 Likes

Here is my favorite Theta S time-lapse so far: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXAEdVAHZQB/?taken-by=pentaxagram (shot on the roof of my carport on what started out as a clear night)

1 Like

Ok but it is not 360 interaktive

1 Like

Yeah - I tend to share mostly via Instagram, so much of my finished Theta work is flattened. I do love the tiny planet style stuff.

1 Like

Jason,

Just curious about you using Instagram. It seems like a lot of THETA users post on Instagram even though they canā€™t display 360 content. In your case, if youā€™re posting tiny planets, it doesnā€™t matter. But what do you do if you want to show 360 images?

Jesse

1 Like

Jesse - I occasionally post 360 images to my facebook page and share that way (havenā€™t posted much to my Theta account since Facebook and Youtube added 360 photo/video compatibility). There is one nifty app called Around Theta which will basically make a little looping video that spins around your 360 picture (you pick the starting point). It would be nice if Instagram added a 360 feature, but I do love the tiny planets. I am sure some of you know Ben Claremontā€¦ is he active here? He was one of the first Theta-enthusiasts I networked with on Instagram and Facebook.

1 Like

Jason,

Yes, I know and like Ben Claremont a lot. His tiny planet info and reviews of cameras and accessories is always super useful. I just recently bought a Manfratto extendable monopod based on his reviews, and really like it.

Is the Around Theta app called ā€œAround Theta for SNSā€? The description says ā€œThis App can make movies suitable for SNS such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram from photos taken by RICOH THETA S.ā€ Is that the one? Is it good enough to add to the List of RICOH THETA Apps?

Jesse

1 Like

Jesse - That is the app. It isnā€™t a robust app like RollWorld or the desktop Insta360 app, but it seems to work well for what it is. Here is an example of a time I used it to share a 360 photo on Instagram:

Sorry to get off-topic in the Time-Lapse thread!

Jesse

Nice work! I did a time-lapse too, plz check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y6mTWYMtU8, also 4K with Theta S.

1 Like

@tomriddle1234 - Very cool. Here is my last time-lapse experiment. I got really lucky with the clouds at night:

3 Likes

Cool. I shared this on Twitter too. Nice. BTW, you can share short animated gifs if you want.

3 Likes

Really cool nighttime time lapse, thanks for posting

I wasnā€™t in totality for this eclipse, but Boise was close enough to the path that I thought Iā€™d try a Theta time-lapse. I found the experience very moving - the sudden temperature, light and sound changes are pretty amazing. It got dark enough here for the street lights to come on briefly. I was underwhelmed by my footage, but made this tiny planet versionā€¦ It does show an interesting change in light and the shifting halo around the planet is pretty cool. The contrail at the end steals the show.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYE7yUWn2IU/?taken-by=pentaxagram

p.s. This shot I got during my Sunday trial run may be the best thing that came from all this eclipse shooting.

2 Likes

Jason,

Wow, I think you did some cool things here. I agree, the ā€œeclipseā€ didnā€™t come through, but the change in light is pretty dramatic. And, yes, the contrails shooting through near the end are neat.

Got a big laugh from the curious bee. :slight_smile:

Excellent!

Jesse

1 Like

@jcasman - I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen the rolling shutter effect on insect wings. It makes me wish I had some video of this same bee/Theta encounter.

1 Like

@jcasman

can you give a few more details?

On all other Ricoh cameras you can leave the shutter speed, exposure time and ISO on auto and set the white-balance. Unfortunately on the Theta cameras you canā€™t do it so you have to choose shutter or ISO priority to enable the white-balance setting. I use ISO priority because it has a greater range of light that it can use without under/over exposing the image.

For daytime I set the ISO to lowest because the slower shutter speeds create movement blur which enhances the timelapse result. If youā€™re shooting on a cloudy day and want to be able to see the clouds then you should lower the exposure compensation a notch or two too as you canā€™t combine interval shooting with HDR.

At night i find itā€™s best to go full-manual as the auto exposures tend to be a bit conservative. On a tripod or clamp you can push the ISO & shutter speed towards their maximums but a lot of noise does creep in at higher ISOs.

Hereā€™s one of my little-planet timelapses, a music video I made for a friendā€™s band: Make It Like It Used To Be - The Bob Lazar Story on Vimeo

2 Likes