Ricoh Theta V - Top 10 features; plus: comparison with other popular 360 cameras - UPDATED

As I really lack photography knowledge, one of the things I appreciated was the section on exposure controls. Honestly, I usually rely on the automatic setting controls as I don’t have the knowledge to set the shutter speed properly in different lighting conditions. That’s a good example taking it in Sunny 16 conditions. BTW, I notice you’re using kuula.co now for the image storage. I remember you used to use roundme.com

Do you prefer kuula.co over roundme.com?

I believe that people liked to use roundme.com because it stored uncompressed 360 images. Just curious to learn how experts like you make decisions on where to store images.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi codetricity. You might be interested in learning about exposure (aperture, shutter speed, ISO). It will help a lot for both photo and video.

Sometimes, I use kuula just because they are more likely to share my post when I use their services. I use roundme for anything that requires high resolution.

Best regards,
Mic

3 Likes

Just curious about the exposure bracketing, I have an old Theta and the bracketing implementation was good but in my opinion way too slow to be useful, it would take about 45 second to do 7 brackets from 1/6 to 1/1000. I could do a 360 7 brackets in 4 different directions with my DSLR faster. Has the speed of taking the snapshots improved on the Theta V? I am just about ready to pull the trigger on upgrading but since that is my most important feature I need to make sure this has been sped up a lot. I would also take unstitched photo’s if it meant I could get a 7 bracket exposure done in under 10 seconds.

Hi SM. It’s still the same app, so it’s essentially still the same speed I think.

Best regards,
Mic

Well I don’t think it was the app slowing it down as I used other HDR apps which all went at the same speed. I think it had more to do with how quickly the Theta could Stitch the photo and save it to it’s memory. I’m hoping the memory got a speed increase and with the new processor can stitch the photo’s faster.

OK I will test it to see if it has gotten any faster.

Best regards,
Mic

Is it not a matter of pricing ?
To day Google Photos
take Photo spheres up to 100 Megapixel for free

Svendus

1 Like

Do you use it for virtual tours too? For example, do you group several pictures together to show one building?

An audio input, can you receive on-line audio, for example from mixing a sound table? The idea would be to inject stereo audio from the external sound mixer during video transmission mode.

Google Photos mostly for private sharing !
But on Google Maps we can now even make an income as Google Trusted photografer
Here are outside, inside and upstairs linked together with arrows
Telephone number and E-mail address with a link to our Panorama site are on Googles index over Trusted photographers in our province where People contact us :blush:
we have actuarily posted over 1000 Photo spheres high and low resolution on Google Maps
having over 2.5 million hits the last year.

1 Like

TBH I don’t understand what is a sound table, but the mic input can accept spatial audio, so I am guessing it can accept stereo as well.
Best regards,
Mic

audio mixing console! Does it accept stereo audio?

I don’t know much about audio jacks, but the picture of the attachment shows that the plug is divided into 4 segments.

Are you thinking of plugging a two-channel line into the THETA V?

Thanks codetricity! That’s a good point. FWIW, when I plug in a TRRS lav mic, I have to use a TRS adapter and it comes out mono but on both left and right channels.

Yes, I’m thinking of connecting a two-channel line to Theta V, coming from the stereo output of an audio console!

Well I went ahead and bought and tested it. Right now to do a 7 bracket shoot in the Theta S it was taking 45 seconds. This is at 1/6, 1/15, 1/50, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500 and 1/1000. So the Theta V using the exact same settings as it’s the same app did the same shoot in 20 seconds. A little more than twice as fast. As a person who relies on HDR’s and bracketing this is a great speed up. Looking at image quality the Theta V has improved quiet a bit. Things that were not sharp, like air conditioning vents which were blurry on the S are now sharp on the V. I am good with my purchase and can’t wait to start developing add-ons for it.

4 Likes

This is really cool to hear. Interesting how you could compare it so directly with the S. Is this for private use or something professional?

2 Likes

It’s for private and professional use. I use it for doing HDR’s on set for Film and TV vfx.

1 Like

Oh wow, sounds cool. By “vfx” you mean you use the THETA for, what, adding extra effects to scenes somehow? How does that work? Would love to hear more details. Just personally curious.

No we use the Theta and DSLR’s with Fisheyes to make 360 bracketed pano’s. The reason we need bracketing is the HDR is not the ordinary photo HDR that you view on a daily basis. We combined the brackets together to make a high res 16 or 32 bit float HDR or lightprobe that keeps all the light information from the brightest brights to the darkest darks. Having this we take it into a 3D program such as Maya or Modo and actually use it to get the lighting generated to light the CG object in the scene. With good bracketed HDR’s we can get a CG object lit to 90% then only have to finesse the last 10%. Saves lots of time when do this, and also produces a much nicer looking object as the lighting matches and the reflection of the room show up too.

3 Likes