Ricoh theta usb cable

why some cables work and some don’t. Maybe someone else does know, i lost my oroginal cable.(( maybe anyone know usb pin for ricoh theta s? android usb cable not charging(
GiorgiChkonia

Hi the THETA have Micro-B USB inlet
The provided cable are Type A to Micro-B
with a feritfilter in the Micro-B end

Regards Svendus

Hello Svendus, i know, i have this 5 cable and, my theta not charging :frowning: i need a pin of this cable.

Hmm

The USB outlet from a computer motherbord are 5 volt !
If you have chaged the camera from a 12 volt wall outlet the THETA can be broke,
most mobile Phones have inbuild current protecktion and can be charged from a 12 volt wall or a 12 volt outlet in a old car

Aren’t most micro USB wall chargers 5 volt 1.5 amp? Is it common to see 12 volt wall chargers in Sweden?

mostly 5 volt 1 amp some 7,5 volt

Is the cable the problem? More likely it is the source of voltage. Why is the ThetaS so particular about charging? I can charge from my MacBook Pro, but I cannot turn it on to take pictures while plugged in to the MacBook. I cannot run my ThetaS while connected to an ASUS Zen Power Li pack. Why is this? I can operate my ThetaS all night and then some from a 12v lead acid battery connected to a Battery Tender brand SAE-USB plug. This makes me happy! Took awhile to figure out what works and what doesn’t. I assumed it had to do with the amperage of the power source. ASUS Zen Power pack can output 2.5 A. When I connect to one of these red light blinks and then unit powers down. And the ASUS Zen Power unit powers itself off when no load, so useless for overnight power source.

Please help me find a good external power source to run ThetaS in Timelapse mode all night, or two or three…

Cheers,
James McClean

The WiFi API and some (possibly all) camera functions are turned off when the Camera is plugged into the USB port of a computer to allow the computer to mount the pictures and video on the camera as a filesystem.

This is the first time I’ve heard of this. I’m just guessing, but you may be right that something might be triggering some safety over-current mechanism in the THETA. I am just guessing.

I know that both @squizard360 and @Phil_Spitler did long timelapse. Maybe they can share their battery info. Also, @jcasman and I were at a RICOH booth at a tradeshow using a large white battery that the RICOH product manager had. @jcasman, do you remember if that was an Anker battery?

Also, are you moving the pictures from the THETA to your computer? Or, are you limited to the max capacity of the THETA internal storage. If you’re moving the pictures, you could power the THETA from the USB port and then use the USB API with this.

Sorry, don’t remember the battery setup, Craig.

@jcasman , he sent me a DM and has two problems:

1. triggering the THETA at a future point in time (like a week)
  2. powering the THETA

My idea is to modify this system

for use with a battery.

I think someone needs to help him. By help him, I think someone needs to build a duplicate Rasbperry Pi system in their home and then send him the microSD card by postal mail. Think about the duplicate system they built in the movie, the Martian.

It’s a cool project and there’s almost no cost to help him if the person has a Raspberry Pi. The only thing is that he wants to do video, so you’d have to use the script you wrote yourself. :slight_smile:

Hey, you should help him. :theta: You have a Rasbperry Pi and a THETA. He just needs to start and stop the video at certain times.

You could also use this as a base:

So much possibility!

@jcasman, so I’ve been thinking more about this fascinating project.

Here are things the community could do:

1. Post this idea in the Raspberry Pi 360 Challenge for a chance to win a free Raspberry Pi (you and I can’t win it. :wink:

2. Build an SD Card image with Raspbian OS and also a program to control the THETA from USB. Make the SD Card image freely available along with instructions on how to move the image onto a microSD card and use it with the Raspberry Pi. It’s a cool project

3. Build the actual hardware unit with the Raspberry Pi (possibly even an Raspberry Pi Zero) and sell it at cost with the tested and functional microSD card already inserted so that someone can use it as a hobbyist experimentation platform and some exotic project use

The guy’s project is really cool. We could use it as a way to advance the community resources.

I think there’s a lot of creative people that could build some cool timelapse experiences if we made the USB API applications more accessible.

I’m really into this idea. Sounds like a project that I could help with.

I think he wants to build something like this, possibly for use with a VR headset.

http://virtualforest.io/vrtimelapse.html

BTW, Koen’s camera looks like it was killed by severe frost. :frowning:

To create a custom “Unofficial Guide” Raspbian Distribution, here’s some info:

I think the easiest thing to do is to get a microSD card, install it in your Raspberry Pi, configure it, then sell the configured microSD card at cost.

This 32GB Samsung EVO is $11.
http://a.co/7cc518a

This el cheapo 4GB Kingston at $5.68 might also work:

http://a.co/j22gp6U

If you do it a few times, you’ll have a fully functional configuration for using the THETA USB control with a Raspberry Pi. Then, after you have a good setup, you can build your own distribution.

While your at it, you can test a few different batteries to make sure that the battery can power the Raspberry Pi AND the Raspberry Pi can power the camera through the USB port.

If you can get one other person interested that lives near SF, you can throw a little configuration meetup where you build the SDcard and test the Raspberry Pi with the THETA in different situations, like long-term timelapse.

@jcasman just so you know some of the challenges and why there’s a need for this type of pre-configured sdcard or distribution.

gphoto2 is a apt package. I had some problems with getting all the functions to work with the THETA. I also had to fiddle with the some auto-start scripts.

Most people are using libptp, which requires a source compilation. :frowning:

So, while it doable to use the USB API, it’s really limited to people with fairly good technical skills with fiddling with configuration settings. It’s not a plug-and-play solution right now. You could bring it one step closer to plug-and-play.