High Resolution 360 Image Experience with Multi-Imaging Technology

Pentax K-1 DSLR camera and RICOH THETA S are combined together to provide high resolution sections of a 360 image for an enhanced VR experience. This is pre-release technology. Demos show airport field surveillance, factory tour with jet engine, and flower garden with waterfall.

As far as I know, this package is not for sale yet. Comments about this technology are welcome. Just reply to this post. We’ll pass the feedback on to the Ricoh product management team.

2 Likes

Normally it is called pinned video or image
it can be done easily in krpano and Pano2VR5

You can also embed high resolution images that pop up inside a THETA Panorama

On this example the Video Popsup to 100 % when you click on it and closes the same way

Some Nice Pano2VR examples on pinned video from Tallinn University Tour by: Lauri Veerde

Sound Studio

Table tennis

Gymnastic Hall

1 Like

Sirs, any information on memory capacity and battery capacity?

Cool. Thanks for all these great tips. It’s awesome to get techniques from active 360 artists like you that are really using tools in innovative ways. Appreciate all your contributions.

The example shown of High Resolution 360 Image Experience with Multi-Imaging Technology is more than just a pinned video it is much closer to Kolor’s LivePano plugin to PanoTourPro. The example shown pixelates a lot on the unenhanced sections, and to be honest if you are going to this much trouble would need a higher resolution version of the Theta at least to around 8K like the original Samsung Gear 360.

Thanks for this info. I don’t know too much about what is out there. It looks like the PanoTourPro is 400 Euros and the Kolor LivePano plugin is 200 Euros.

I imagine that the Ricoh software does not have a nice user interface right now. I don’t think they’re selling it yet.

I looked online and see that the Pentax K-1 is $1,783 for the body only. My understanding from casual discussions with Ricoh staff is that the THETA doesn’t need to be paired with this particular camera. It could theoretically work with a wide range of DSLR cameras.

An earlier video interview with Kohta Nagai reported that the software used both object recognition and position matching to align the images.