This is a community-generated list of feature requests that will be presented to the RICOH THETA product manager and overall business management team. We intend to collect them and report monthly. This is the third POLL, and we are collecting your votes before the end of November 2016.
Please add any feature requests or other comments by replying to this post. For your reference, the previous poll thread is here: Feature Requests (Sept 2016 POLL)
NOTE: It is unlikely RICOH will be able to release all the RAW image data as there is so much metadata associated with the RAW image such as sensor metadata. To authorize the release RAW image data, the engineering team will have to sift through what is too sensitive and what can be released. As this might take too long, we believe the best strategy is to narrow the request for certain types of metadata from the RAW image so the business managers can assess the risk of releasing a narrower set of metadata. Also, we here at the Unofficial Guide are not professional photographers, we may be asking the wrong question. Please specify the type of information you need from the RAW image to help us understand.
What’s the most important feature you want in the next version of the RICOH THETA?
- HDR image data (please specify details on type of data needed in comments below)
- Data for 3D reconstruction (please provide more information on what you need)
- Meta data for other purpose (specify industry or application and what type of data you need in the comments below.)
- Save still image as dual-fisheye on camera to speed up repeat interval shooting under 9 seconds
- Save still image as dual-fisheye for automated post-processing. If you need the software from RICOH to convert to equirectangular for this as part of a workflow, please explain in the comments below. The current desktop software cannot accept command line arguments and the libraries have no accessible API.
- Turn camera on using USB API (or wake from sleep mode)
- 4K video
- Removable/Expandable MicroSD card
- Underwater cover (better than current test tube version)
- Replacement lenses
- Live streaming over WiFi (specify acceptable resolution)
- Live streaming at 4K resolution using USB
- Time / date tags on theta360.com images
- Replaceable battery
- 3.5 mm plug for external microphone
- Ability to fine tune sensor focus on both fisheye lenses individually (@svendus)
- For HDRi, take multiple photos and process them later (@utjduo)
- Updates to the theta360 site - Examples include: Multiple image upload (instead of one-by-one on your phone); Ability to sort images into galleries/albums to share; Simple editing features (@nick)
- Lens distortion information (lens parameter information) under NDA